Monday, September 1, 2008

Mumbai Meri Jaan !!!

A very hard hitting reality displaying movie based on the Mumbai bomb blasts. Saw the movie, felt dejected at the low level to which journlism has scooped for publicity, felt the pain of the people in the Mumbai bomb blasts and then went off to sleep promptly forgetting all about the message the movie tried to get across. Next day got involved in major issues in release with client at work and was frustrated all the way back from home. The whole day kept feeling the unfairness of the clients, the frustration built up as I thought of how they kept pointing out our small mistakes without seeing the good work and effort taken to make the release a success. After returning home was wondering what to watch, when the movie I had seen yesterday came to my mind. Although I am more of a newspaper person, for a change thought of turning on some news channel to check what is their "Aaj ki tazaa khabar"....and no surprises, they delivered without fail. First the news showed about the floods in Bihar. They showed the pathetic situation there with particular stress on how the Govt is not able to reach to the 30 lakh people trapped in the flood waters. Well, a question or them, how did they reach there to show the footage? And if they did manage some miracle, could they not carry some supplies with them for the people stuck there or use their channel helicopter for better purpose by transporting a few people to safer areas?
Next they showed news segment where a suspended police officer was being interviewed about the case filed against him. The first question itself showed the IQ level of the interviewer. "Aapko kya lagta hain, kya aap begunah hain?" My dear fellow, I think its time to re-open those journalism books once again....who in the ever wide world would answer honestly to such an idiotic question? No one in his right mind would admit yes, I am a culprit. Questions with obvious answers have no meaning.....
But the major impact of those news on me was, it drove away the thoughts of my ruthless clients from my mind and made me realize how mundane my worries were. What was the worse thing that could happen? Another trouble report to fill....some more releases....and after a week everything would be forgotten by the client as well as me. For me, life would go back to normal. But what about those people who lost their everything in those floods? They would never lead those same lives again...they dont even know when they would get their next meal? Inspite of all such thoughts, I cannot do anything for them except pray. If I contribute monetarily, it is bound to land up in some politicians pocket. And that makes me think, is there any way to contribute to humanity? As kids, I always used to think, I'll find all answers when I grow older. Now I realize, that was just a mirage, a hope....even now, the questions are the same....and still no answers. The movie did have its impact....it just took time for me to realize it.

4 comments:

bhagwati lal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bhagwati lal said...

I would say you keep a copy of movies like "RGV ki AAG", "2050 A Love story", "CkKompnay" etc. When you are really frustrated, watch these movies. They will take you to next higher level of frustration and you will forget your original pain. The only thing you will think is "When this movie will end?".

Jokes apart, nice collection of thoughts... may be everyone think those at least once in a month... you are definitely not "home alone".

Asaami-Asaami said...

Expecting more :-)

Ashley said...

So very apt, somewhere in our lives we have thought, Yes, I can make a difference. Only to be dejected and thrown aside. I remember one of my signatures was, I want to change to world, but no one gives me the source code. Today, even if i get the source code, nothing can happen, believe me!!!
Keep writing!!